Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The bike ride

Yesterday evening we all went on a family walk/bike ride. Jeff rode his bike to pull Cole in the trailer, I walked, and our FOUR year old Shelby rode her new big bike.

Early on I said, "Shelby get ready to turn up there." She said, "I know Mom, I'll do it when we get there."
Later I told her to be careful. Her response: "I know, don't worry, I'm keepin my eye on the road."

As we were going down the street I had a flashback to a couple of years ago, driving down the same street with my little toddler Shelby in the back seat, seeing a family with a little girl on a training wheel bike and thinking, "Wow, someday Shelby will do that!" ---I was looking forward to that time, thinking how fun it would be and that someday seemed so far away. I had NO idea that "someday" would come so soon. As I walked yesterday, I looked over and said to Jeff, "I can't believe she's already..." and my voice broke. Unexpectedly a huge lump rose in my throat and my eyes filled with tears. It just hit me. I have been noticing this 4th birthday of hers be pretty tough on me--- but in the middle of the afternoon on a sunny neighborhood street walking as my baby girl rode her bike in front of me faster than I could walk, I stood speechless, unable to finish my sentence. All of a sudden it seems, she is smart. She is self-sufficient. She has her own ideas and opinions and she can make them known. She is proud of herself and she strives to make us happy. She loves her brother, she is a doting and nurturing big sister. She has real relationships with real friends that she cares about. She loves God and makes sure we pray every night. She loves her parents and her doggies and flowers. (From the bike ride: "Mommy I like all the flowers I see. And if they're boy colors, I still like em. And if they're girl colors, I like em.") She can dress herself (and she can choose to wear non-matching socks!) She knows her letters and the sounds they make. She is growing up. And I am SO proud of her.

You soon-to-be mommies and mommies of infants and toddlers, watch out. I know they say it flies by and we think, "Yeah I know...", casual conversation... But it's not something that you really grasp, probably ever. I foresee it only getting worse. I have a coworker who says I'll wake up one day and they will be in college. NOoooooo! But I am sure she's right.

The important thing in all of this is that we ENJOY the time---EVERY single stage, every single day. Make it quality. Make memories. THOSE will not grow old.




6 comments:

Nonnie said...

I don't even want to tell you how quickly she will be "almost 29" with children of her own! But, those times are special too! You're right...enjoy every moment!

Jessatsea said...

awhhhh it does go by so fast. It's a lesson in stopping to enjoy each stage, isn't it. :)
you're a good mama!

Jess said...

Aw...she's becoming such a little lady!

Misty said...

Awww, your post is so sweet. I know you cherish every moment spent with your little babies, as do I!

Shelby looks so happy riding her new big girl bike!

Kim said...

I haven't even had my little girl yet, and your post made me tear up just thinking about her being a "big girl" (damn pregnancy hormones). You are such a good mama Meg. I hope I'm that good too, and I will try to take every moment and cherish it! She is an adorable 4 yr old, btw!

Susan said...

Ok that just made me cry! I was just thinking last night that we only have 2 more years and Ashlyn will be in school! You are so right you don't realize it until you are living it!