Success!
On Saturday I ran with Jeff outside and though I thought I was going to die, I didn’t. The temp was in the 50’s. The air was cold but I was wearing a t-shirt. When we finished our mapped 2.99 mi run, it had only been 31 minutes, so I figured the reason I felt like I would die is that we (HE) were running faster than I do for such a distance. That is an average of about 5.7 on the treadmill, which seems to be my “comfortable pace”, but lately certainly not for 3 miles straight. Since I was a child, I have had a pretty serious case of asthma and up until a few months ago, that was my excuse for not running. Yesterday, I was reminded. The outside cold air is TORTURE on my lungs. Not only does my chest just resonate with fire, but the pain travels up through my head, around weird areas like behind my nose (sinuses?) and especially in my ears. Very strange/different pain than I feel in any other circumstance. None of my body is tired. My legs feel great, like they could go forever, but my lungs beg for me to stop. Is this also the case for non-asthmatic runners, I wonder?? Is breathing such an issue for everyone?
Running in a controlled (inside/treadmill) environment seems like much less of an assault on my chest/respiratory area.
Happy to have met my goals this week!

1 comment:
good job! I, too, struggle with running in the cold. I carry my puffer with me and have to use it especially at the end.
Stay safe!
Post a Comment