Wednesday, December 26, 2007

No surgery tomorrow!!!

Coleman was scheduled to have surgery tomorrow to correct his hydrocele, but since he was sick and on prednisone last week, they have suggested that we wait at least a few weeks to make sure his lungs are in perfect condition before he goes under general anesthesia. On top of that, we found out that the surgery is going to cost a lot more than we thought. Like, over $1000. It's fine but not what we were told at first, and not what we had planned on. Well for one, we had the surgery scheduled before the end of the year so we had already paid about $400 of our $1000 out of pocket max (from his birth this year) Since we are having to reschedule the surgery, the out of pocket max will start over in January. So I started doing some research on the internet. All the hospital people and nurses I talk to about this keep calling it an "elective procedure" so I was curious... Well I find several things. First of all, they usually give it until the child is at least a year to close up on its own. Some things I found even say that it can spontaneously correct itself until they're 18 months. So, if we waited until he was 18 months before having the surgery, it could correct itself and not even be necessary! Other sites said that the surgery is usually done after a child turns 2, again, to give it a chance to close on its own. So why would we rush into this surgery before he's even a year if we don't have to? I read that it's not a dangerous condition, and it's not painful to him. So anyway, we're leaning towards putting the surgery off until September. That will allow it ample time to close on its own and we won't feel like we're rushing into something unnecessarily, and it will also allow us to take the $1000 out of my flex spending plan (which starts over in September) and at least have a little tax savings. I'm going to talk to the surgeon and his doctor to make sure I am finding the correct information of course, but from things everyone has said and things I have read it seems that this surgery is certainly not something that should be done asap.

On a completely different note, we opened a bottle of wine I bought from the Girls Gone Wine winery in Broken Bow, OK and it SUCKS. I spent $24 on this stupid bottle of wine and it tastes like it is carbonated! It even leaves little bubbles on the glass. Gross!!! I got taken by the hick Oklahoma wine ladies. Ugh. Note to self: Never again buy overpriced wine with homemade labels from "wineries" in Oklahoma. Duh.

No comments: