Well, the first day of school is here! It is a big day for the Peck fam since we are sending our “baby boy” Coleman to kindergarten!
We spent the weekend rearranging rooms at our house, and the excitement of that (I think) caused bedtime to be very long and drawn out. I laid the kids down all ready for bed and said prayers at 8:30 as planned. At 10:00 they were both still getting up. I think Coleman fell asleep shortly after 10, and Shelby was still up, claiming that she couldn’t sleep and that her loose tooth hurt. Finally I laid down with her in her “new” bottom bunk and felt the heavy breathing begin as I rubbed her head just before 11:00! Even so, both kids woke up well and with smiles before 7:00.
Coleman has not been excited about Kindergarten. He didn’t want to talk about it and claimed to not want to go. However, Friday night I had an epiphany after something else he said that made me realize that it’s just not his personality to like to make a big deal out of things, or to want to be the center of attention. So at that point we decided to stop talking about it and “building it up”…we knew he would be fine once he got there, if we didn’t psych him out beforehand by making too big of a deal out of it! So, this morning, it was just a normal, “Get dressed, eat breakfast…” except I had to take pictures, of course! When I called them outside to take pictures, at first he acted like this:
But we let him sit aside and I took some of smiley sissy without bothering him,
and soon enough he ran up on his own ready to smile! I was so relieved.
Silly man was shaking off his first day jitters just fine…
Off we go!
(Just kidding. They did not ride in the back of the truck to school.)
We parked at the park to walk to the school together
I had planned to take Shelby to her class first so Coleman could “see” her being dropped off, but he wanted to go first.
We were the first ones in there with one other boy and his parents. I think we were supposed to go to the gym instead, because almost 10 minutes later Mrs. ONeal returned to the room with all the other kids and parents. Oops. But Coleman and the new little buddy Elijah got to meet each other before everyone else came so maybe we have a friendship budding! They were sitting together on the carpet as we said goodbye.
Sister, of course, walked right into her class and they were already starting with a worksheet, so she’s in great hands too! (Already in second grade, I felt too intrusive running in there with my camera, so here’s the picture we got of her!)
I have a feeling that this is going to be a fantastic school year. We have a couple of wonderful teachers and great kids.

No comments:
Post a Comment