Yes, soccer has been better and quite fun since that first game!
Last week, Shelby was put at goalie, and not only did she really like it, she was pretty good at it! She had several great stops/blocks, and was quick and fast at running out and throwing the ball back down the field to her teammates (which left me wondering, “When did she learn THAT?!”) She really just looked like she belonged there, so I wasn’t surprised when the coach had her at goalie for 3 out of 4 quarters again on Saturday.
It wasn’t as active at the goal this week, but she did have a couple of stops and they got 2 by on her (one she stopped right on the line…boo!!!) but she said she had fun again, though she wishes she got to play in the field and kick / chase the ball at least a little bit. Having her at goalie makes me SO NERVOUS. I know if a goal is scored it’s not completely the goalie’s fault and there shouldn’t be any “blame” placed when they’re six years old…and I know that it’s all supposed to be for fun and learning…but I’m still a nervous wreck when she’s down there and the ball starts getting close. (Some Most of these soccer parents are HARD CORE. I’ve seen nothing like it on the softball/baseball fields!! It is a whole other breed, I think.) All the parents on our team know that it is Shelby’s first year to play soccer and most are very nice, but still I have this strong urge to stand up and announce, “This is only her second time at goalie, first season of soccer. Please be encouraging and forgiving!!! Oh, and please remember that all these little girls are six and are not you 35 years ago, here to fulfill your long lost dream. Thanks.” (That last part was just for a special dad or two, haha.)
Saturday was also picture day, bright and early at 8:00 am. Here are a few that I snapped.
Shelby and these 2 friends went to school together for 3 years, starting when they were 2 years old. How very special that they’re still besties! (1 other old friend is also on the team but missing in the picture below.) On Saturday morning, they all showed up for pictures with side ponytails on the right. ha!

1 comment:
I just love seeing these soccer pictures and I completely understand how crazy the parents are sometimes. Good for Shelby for wanting to play goalie and enjoying it. By looking at the pics, she belongs there :) Tell her to keep at it. Each season will get better, more exciting and more fun. Best of luck to you too mommy. It's rough!!! :)
Post a Comment