Friday, September 21, 2012

Bathroom Renovation

This is the renovation that was in the works for a year!  It was finished at the beginning of the summer and we’ve been enjoying it and the kids have been fighting over who gets to shower in here ever since!

I coulda-shoulda-woulda taken better pictures, but this is what I have and if I don’t post them, it won’t ever get done.

This is my vanity.  Jeff’s looks the same, on the opposite side of the bathroom.  The countertops are new, cut and installed by Jeff and Poppy.  Sink and fixtures picked out by ME, of course!  Cabinet stain “Kona” is new, done by Jeff.  Wall color is new, by Jeff, and I helped a little.

DSC_0335

DSC_0338

The shower is hard to take pictures of.  We used to have a peach colored marble shallow bathtub over here.  (Which Uncle Doug drove down and helped demolish!) Now it’s a large custom shower.  The wall and seat were built by a contractor, but all the tile work was done by my extremely handy and talented hubby.  The “shower pan” was built by Papa G, our tilemaster!

2012-07-26_16-27-46_199

You know me, I suggested the tile layout.  Diagonal 6x6’s on top, glass stripe, and 12x12 straight on bottom.  The floor is diagonal 2x2” tiles.  I love it!  All these shower corners and angles are caulked with stuff that matches the grout color (pretty cool) which Uncle Luke helped with!

DSC_0339

Another awkward picture but it shows the custom built-ins in the wall on the right.

DSC_0343

Here is what used to be there:
SNAGHTML349bee58

Jeff took a video of the “before” but it was just so bad.  So narrow that there’s not even a good picture of a vanity or anything.  It was just so cramped!

This below is a bad phone picture.  Shelby likes to take my phone around the house and take pictures of our stuff ever since we had our house on the market.  We added a new narrow floor-to-ceiling shelving unit on the wall where the tiny square shower used to be.  We had no storage in this bathroom except under the sink counters, and this helps SO much!  (I store my shoes in the bottom cabinets!)

wall

The above picture was taken before one of our last steps was done, which was to finish out the top of the half wall, what used to be a whole wall (there on the left,) which cut the bathroom into its old half-moon shape.  It is now trimmed out and looks great, and gives a bit of privacy for the toilet.  Jeff added a new skill to his handiness: using a router to cut fancy finishes on wood.  (I think that’s what it’s called!)  The bathroom is now wide open and a normal rectangular room shape.  Other things done were changing out all fixtures and door hinges, painting doors (white,)  new white trim on the floors (which Jeff cut and installed also), appropriate cement backer board in the shower area so no more butts will be shoved through tile walls, and a new fixture/exhaust fan combo.  Oh and new tile floor throughout the room.  Probably more that I’m forgetting!

As you can see, this is an amazing job that our “village” helped with throughout, from offering a hand, a muscle, an opinion, expertise, and even childcare for us to get it done.  Built with LOVE!

2 comments:

Misti said...

I love how it turned out! We will have to renovate both of our bathrooms (and one of the spare bedrooms)...this gives me hope!

cbo said...

It looks really good. :)